Recommended chores for 5 year olds :
Implementing some chores for 5 year olds and even 4 year olds is not as hard as it sounds. Having age appropriate chores and expectations is the first step to success with raising responsible kids
. Preschoolers and kindergartners, if they have been in a traditional school setting, have probably been exposed to jobs and chores in their classroom. At home, you can teach your kids how you can work together as a family
. The two best benefits are
- kids learn important skills
- your household chore list is lightened (eventually!)
There are a lot of chores a 4 year old or a 5 year old can do to help the family (note that the grey items are age appropriate chores for younger kids
Taking care of themselves:
- Get dressed
- Brush hair
- Brush teeth (with supervision)
Taking care of their stuff:
- Hang up coat
- Put shoes away
- Put their dirty clothes in a hamper
- Put their toys away
- Hang up backpack
- Clean their room pretty independently
- Make their bed
- Do their laundry with help
- Switch wet clean laundry into dryer
- Put away folded laundry
- Put clean socks into balls
- Help with meal prep
- Help stir
- Help wash vegetables
- Dumping a bowl of cut items into another bowl or a pan
- Stir at the stove with supervision
Helping clean up in the kitchen:
- Wipe sink
- Put napkins on table
- Clear table (maybe use a “bus bin”)
- Put away silverware
- Put dirty dishes in a “bus bin”
- Take dirty dishes to sink
- Set table properly
Other cleaning jobs:
- Dust furniture
- Wipe bathroom sink and counter (even with water)
Other random chores:
- Empty trash baskets
- Put pet food in dish with help
- Water plants
- Brush animals
- Bring in the mail
- Bring in a light bag of groceries
- Help with light yard work
- Empty their trash into a larger bag to take out
- Anything you can think of that seems right for your child!
Having chores for 4 year olds and 5 year olds really lays the groundwork for responsible kids. Most kids will rise to the expectations given to them, and will feel valued because of their efforts to help the family. Good luck and have fun cleaning together as a family!
Go to Age Appropriate Chores from Chores for 5 year olds
Learn how to implement a chore system!
Get started today!
"Lorin & Rich, I just wanted to say "Thanks!" We've started doing a Family 5 several nights a week, and the change is amazing - when the kids are in bed and I sit down, the house is nearly all picked up - just from FIVE MINUTES a day! The kids have put their clothes in the hamper nearly every night this week with no whining!
Things are running so much more smoothly, just from a few little changes. Thank you, thank you, thank you!
“This practical and witty e-book offers stepping stones to anyone seeking to bring more order and simplicity into the ordinary chaos of life. The approach is realistic—as in the Three M’s—and it is clear that Lorin and Rich really know their “stuff,” as they have lived it. Moreover, it is fun. The authors are there with you at each step, offering encouragement as well as sound guidance.”
"My 5yo did his laundry AGAIN! You are the queen."
"Thank you so much!!! I have my life back and my TIME!!!"